This topic has 16 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Mifta Kurnia.

• Author
     Tyagi
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to get encoder data from my motors. The Dual break out buffer board is already hooked up to the encoder cables from the motors. Do I connect the motor controller encoder output which is beside the rs232 port to the breakout board or connect it to the Jetson? It is unclear what S1, S2, MOS1, MOSO mean. Please help.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Hey Tyagi,

A couple things here:

1. The dual encoder buffer board has two buffer chips that communicate via SPI (MOSI, MISO, and SCK). The S1 and S2 pins are used to select which buffer chip to communicate with. Refer to our sample code on GitHub for an example: https://github.com/SuperDroidRobots/Encoder-Buffer-Breakout/blob/master/DualEncoderBreakout/DualEncoderBreakout.ino

2. In your case, it would be much easier to connect the encoders to the MDC2460 and poll the counts over USB.

Tyagi
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for getting back. So the layout for the MDC2460 encoder is as follows:
    pin 1: 5V
    pin 2: Enc1A
    pin 3: Enc1B
    pin 4: Enc2A
    pin 5: Enc2B
    pin 6: GND

How would I go about connecting it to the buffer board? 5V and GND are obvious. How do I connect the rest specifically Enc~?

Tyagi

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

I was talking about using the MDC2460 as an encoder buffer instead of the dual encoder buffer board. You should have 5V, GND, A, and B coming from each encoder. The A and B need to output 0-5V pulses. If it’s 0-3.3V, you can use a simple pull up resistor circuit like this: https://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/ig32-ig42-and-ig52-gear-motor-encoder-pull-up-board/1512/

Tyagi
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for getting back.
    So I have the 5V, GND, A, and B for each of the motor assembly connected to the dual encoder buffer board on my robot. So do you recommend I take it off the dual encoder buffer board and make the connections directly to the MDC2460 encoder input? It does have 5V so I don’t think I will be needing the resistor circuit.

Tyagi

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Yes. Connecting the encoders to the MDC2460 will be easier and give you access to more features in Roborun+.

Also if you’re using our motors, you will need the pull ups.

Tyagi
    Participant

Hi,

Ok, that sounds good. SDR built the chassis. The motors are IG42 24VDC. I will order the pull-ups. I am assuming I need 2 of them for each motor.

Tyagi

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

You actually just need one per encoder. Both A and B can plug into one board.

Tyagi
    Participant

Hi, I meant to say one for each motor encoder, which is a total of 2 pull-ups. We will place the order asap.

Thank you.

Tyagi
    Participant

Hi,

So I bought the pullup boards and I was wondering what is the size for the smaller 4pin connector? The breakout board and the pull-up board have a different arrangement for v,g,b, a. So I need to manually connect them. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster
     Tyagi
    Participant

Do you guys have the 2mm 4 position female headers? I cannot find a perfect fit online…I found this (https://www.amazon.com/Micro-4-Pin-Connector-100mm-Female/dp/B01DUC1M2O/ref=pd_bxgy_21_img_2/134-4426260-1281734?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DUC1M2O&pd_rd_r=24ea6361-8178-11e9-8ec8-f37f2ab7fd5a&pd_rd_w=HsoBe&pd_rd_wg=JsPIr&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=JVH3R6Z3Q5RG95AHKPK6&psc=1&refRID=JVH3R6Z3Q5RG95AHKPK6) I don’t think it is the correct ones…

My encoders were attached to the dual encoder breakout board…So the encoder wires are organized as B,A,V,G…As per this thread I have bought pull up boards and the Molex microfit from SDR… The pull up boards have the A,B,G,V configuration… Do you recommend straight up soldering them in the correct order? I don’t think it is the correct approach for the 2 pin 4 position right angled header…

Please advice..

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

I see what you mean now. If the encoders were from our motors, they will have the following configuration:
    Brown – V
    Green – G
    Blue – B
    purple – A

the encoders should fit directly into the pullup board on the 0.1″ side https://www.superdroidrobots.com/images/TE/TE-179-000-C.jpg

on the breakout board, the order is BAVG, so you will have to switch around the V and the G wires on the crimp header. to do that, take a pin, small slotted screwdriver, or a pair of tweezers and push in the metal tab that is holding the wire into the crimp header. from there you can switch the wires and push them back into the correct slot.

You can also solder them directly to the board if you would like to. we do this for many of our robots.

Tyagi
    Participant

Thanks for getting back. I think I will try to solder the encoders from the motors to the board..This way I reduce the wires. I am using the IG42 motors that came with the robot. Thanks.

Mifta Kurnia
    Participant

Nice Post!

Koleksi Dewapoker slot online kami terus diperbarui untuk memberikan pengalaman terbaik.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account