This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 1 month ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     SuperDroid
    Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for our Encoder Support Page and Buying Guide. The support page details what encoders are, how they work, how to interface with them, and how to select the right motors, motor controllers, and sensors to best fit your project.

If any of the information is unclear, or if you have additional questions that are not covered, let us know!

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/custom.aspx/encoder-support-page/73/

steve
    Participant

Hello,

I am interested in the encoder on the IG42 motor. I have one IG42 w/encoder already that does 10 PPR. However, I see in the spec sheet that the precision can go up to 38 PPR. How can I do this? Is this hardware that needs to be purchased with the motor and assembled by SuperDroid? Thank you!

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

The motors use hall effect encoders. If you use quadrature output you can count all the rises and falls of each pulse and each channel for more resolution, but there is only so much you can do. If you want higher resolution, you will have to switch to optical encoders. wwww.usdigital.com sells some nice ones that you can use. You just pull off the magnetic wheel of the encoder and the circuit board and mount a replacement optical encoder. or you can put a optical encoder on your wheel /drive shaft.

bdeuell
    Participant

it is also possible to register the falling and rising edges of both the A and B channel signals. this would allow you to get 4 registrations per each count of the encoder, i.e. a 10 PPR encoder could give you 40 registrations per revolution.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Yes. As stated in our last post, quadrature. Quadrature is reading both channels and the rise and fall of each pulse.

bdeuell
    Participant

@ superdroid, my apologies i apparently missed that the first time i read through your post.

steve
    Participant

Great, thank you. On the back of my IG42 motor, there are 4 small holes that look to be arranged around the shaft in a square of about 0.7 inches. These holes appear to be tapped but I cannot tell for sure because they are underneath the encoder, but they are not in the part drawings either. I am hoping to use them for mounting the base of a US Digital encoder… Do you have more information about these holes? Thank you!

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

you should be able to remove the entire circuit board, from there you will have to figure out a mount, not sure of the best way of doing it on the IG42 motors, maybe some sort of clamp, etc. if you mount to the circuit board itself you should be able to use any of the solder holes, etc as mount points, since that encoder board will not be functional anymore anyways since you are replacing it with optical encoders. Sorry, I know this is not really helpful…

If you figure something out, post it back to the forum with part numbers, etc. I am sure others would like to see your solution. The small resolution of the hall effect encoders is great for the value, but the small counts per revolution can be a issue for some applications

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account