This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 6 months ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     Jal
    Participant

Hello There,

I needed a little help in using Sabertooth 2×60 Controller. I plan to use this controller to control 2 wheelchair motors (Item # TD-111-135 24V DC). I am using 2 12V 18Ah Lead Acid batteries to control these motors via wireless remote controller.

The first time I tried my setup, for some reason I fried the controller or something went wrong which I am not too sure of. I had also checked the same setup with small 9V battery and tiny motors and everything worked fine. But then when I connected my actual setup, something went wrong. I had to order another controller and this time I want to make sure that I am not making any mistakes. I am using 10 Gauge Silicone Wires to connect everything. Can you please help me clear some of my confusion?
    1) Is it necessary to connect motor and wireless receiver first to the board and then only connect the battery? If I connect the battery first to check the voltage to my receiver, would this result in frying my board?

2) Is there any way to check my setup and steps I take before I fry my board?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

There are several things.

1st – Read the manual!

Its important to make sure no wire strands, etc short to each other or the heat sink. Its real easy to push the wires in too far on the terminals and go right through and hit the heat sink. Bad things will happen!

18Ahr battery may not be enough. It depends on the discharge rate (the C value). If its has a 6C rating it may be OK. Also depends how much of that motor controller you will use. If you pull both sides in at 60A, that is 120A that will be demanded by the motor controller. the 2×60 will actually handle more power for short bursts. If the battery does not have the proper discharge rate, it will be damaged. Regardless of the discharge rate, you will not get much run time with only 18Ahr. We typically use 4 35Ahr SLA batteries. Two run in series, then the two pairs run in parallel. Each set we hookup to 40A breakers for 80A of power. Then we switch it with a 100A contact.

Just double check all your wiring and make sure the positive and negative power leads are correct and not strands or shorts. You could use a meter to make sure the motors and power are not making continuity. A switch is recommended, but its hard to find them with 120A rating (we typically use our contacts for turning power on and off). You could always put circuit breakers or fuses in line with the power. Up on the bench it should not draw too much so you can put a 5 or 10A fuse in to test and make sure things are OK, but it will pop once a load is applied. Not using some sort of switch or contact is a bad idea, connecting the battery hot will lead to power jumps, surges, sparks, etc. that will likely result in failure.

The order you hook everything up does not really matter. What matters is you have checked everything and read the manual, etc. before hitting the switch.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account