This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years, 1 month ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     SuperDroid
    Keymaster

We get a lot of interest for inspection robots. We have sold many stock and custom robots for that very sort of thing. Inspection robots are just what they sound like. They allow you to inspect an area, region, space, etc. that is typically too difficult to get to, hazardous, or dangerous. The inspection can be audio, visual, sensor measurement, HAZMAT detection, Confined space entry, etc.

All our standard inspection robots are listed here. The stock robots can easily be customized. For a some other ideas, we have listed some of the custom robots we have built on this page. Lots of robots we have built we cannot share due to confidentiality agreements. If you have a unique application we have no problem entering a NDA once things get underway. During the initial stages of discussion, please keep the NDA content vague. We want to make sure everyone is on the same page before getting into a multi year Non Disclosure contract.

The most common method of inspection is visual. We provide cameras on all our inspection robots. Simple fixed IR cameras, thermal cameras, Zoom Cameras, HD cameras, etc. All the video feed is streamed back to the controller via a tether or wireless (discussed later). The video feed is real time so you can control the robot and camera, what you see is whats there at the moment. We can add DVR capabilities. We can also add sensor and/or telemetry information so you know how far you have traveled so you can record the location or any other sensor data of the inspected item.

One of the most common place to inspect is underground, pipes, sewers, etc. In these cased a tethered control solution is recommended. Wireless will be hit or miss going though tunnels, pipes, earth, etc. It can be done wireless, but a lot of extra effort and unknown and every situation is unique. A tether takes the unknown out of it. It does have the downside of requiring the robot to drag a cable, but the cable can double as a retrieval line if something goes wrong. The other option is wireless. We have a lot of different wireless options. WiFi is the cheapest and easiest and provides up to 300 feet sometimes more. We can also do hybrid control systems were if wireless gives you issues in one application, you can just plug in the tether and go.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Customer reply (via email)

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ve browsed through the inspection robots and there are a few which I’m interested in, namely the treaded pipe and duct inspection robot and the SST inspection robot. What I’d like to know more about at this stage is the camera on both of these and the quality of the images that will be transmitted. Is there a chance you have images from the camera being tested in pipes or perhaps a previous customer has sent through images?

We are looking at a tethered connection at this stage, we would likely require a tether spool to cover a distance of 500 feet. I’ve noted that this is included with the pipe and duct inspection robot.

I’d also like to know what sort of additional software is required to work with both of the inspection robots, if any at all? Can the stream from the camera be sent to a desktop/laptop computer that’s set up on site and saved during the inspection, or does the footage have to be extracted at the completion of the run?

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

The SST is as simple a robot we could make. its not sealed. The control is RC and the video feed is tethered. we can make it all tethered, but its a real simple low cost robot. it will also likely have trouble pulling the weight of a 500ft tether.

There are multiple ways we can tether. We can tether to a remote control box with a LCD screen. we can tether to a tablet or laptop too. Its really up to you on what way is best for you.

Video feed will be real time. RCA output if you want to go to a DVR or big screen. If run on a table or PC we can DVR on the computer. You can provide the computer or we can. or we just give you an install CD (that is not recommended, it usually takes some tweaking of settings and screen size, etc. to get it all right), The software is written by us and is proprietary.

The touch pad tablet is my favorite for ease and simplicity of operation. i uses virtual joystick to drive and control the camera pan and tilt. you touch you finger in a general area, the joystick originates there and you move your touch to control it. lift your touch and the controls center/stop.

We would recommend this robot. either of these

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/wi-fi-enclosed-mlt-42-inspection-robot-with-tablet-controller/1927/ with the add-on of the tether. you will be able to use it wireless or wired from the tablet. if needed we can seal the robot to be waterproof too (as listed its just sealed to keep the elements out, but can not submerge.

or http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/treaded-pipe-and-duct-inspection-robot-with-tethered-controller/1928/. We can change the controls out as necessary if you want to use a tablet instead of the pelican case

-Let us know if you further questions.

Thanks!
    SuperDroid Robots Inc.
    http://www.SuperDroidRobots.com | Robot Parts, Kits, and Custom Solutions
    http://www.SDRTactical.com | Tactical Robots for First Responders
    http://www.SDRobots.com | Blog and Forum
    224 Technology Park Lane | Fuquay Varina, NC 27526
    919-557-9162 (phone) | 775-416-2595 (fax) | sdr@SDRobots.com (email)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account