Tagged: 

This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 10 months ago by Juan Weaver.

• Author
     Bob
    Participant

I have a few questions on the kit mentioned in the title. I, like the previous poster, want to make sure I am on the right path and have a few questions. I have been reading all the linked docs and found some gems in these forums as well.

– The image on page 5 in this doc: https://www.superdroidrobots.com/Manuals/TP-094-004%20Mecanum%20IG32%20DM%20Manual.pdf appears to have a power distribution bus. I don’t see anything like this. I suppose i need something similar.

– I purchased 2 12v batteries and will use the Anderson power connectors for charging. The charger is 24v but my motors are 12v. If i wire the batteries in parallel, is this an appropriate charger?

– 2 5v voltage regulators were included. 1 500ma and the other 5a. i suppose one is to power the Arduino. the other?

– The 2 XT60 male connectors that were included in the kit do not seem to have a purpose. Just making sure i can ignore for this project :)

– 3 “Hitec/JR/Airt. 12 in male” do not have an apparent use. Again, just making sure i am not missing something.

– What might the white squares in “ATR and Vectoring Robot Hardware Kit” be? I also have 4 similar black ones in the “electric power hookup kit”

Thank you!
    Bob

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Hi,

– The image on page 5 in this doc: https://www.superdroidrobots.com/Manuals/TP-094-004%20Mecanum%20IG32%20DM%20Manual.pdf appears to have a power distribution bus. I don’t see anything like this. I suppose i need something similar.

> No that terminal block is not included in the kit but it probably should be. You may be able to find one at Radio Shack or something.

– I purchased 2 12v batteries and will use the Anderson power connectors for charging. The charger is 24v but my motors are 12v. If i wire the batteries in parallel, is this an appropriate charger?

> No, that charger will only work if you wire the batteries in series. Are you using 12V or 24V motors?

– 2 5v voltage regulators were included. 1 500ma and the other 5a. i suppose one is to power the Arduino. the other?

> You can power the Arduino using a 5V output from one of your motor controllers or with the 5V 500 mA regulator. The 5A one isn’t required but can be used to create a 5V bus to add other components if you want.

– The 2 XT60 male connectors that were included in the kit do not seem to have a purpose. Just making sure i can ignore for this project ?

> You can use them as a disconnection point somewhere if you want. Otherwise it’s safe to ignore them.

– 3 “Hitec/JR/Airt. 12 in male” do not have an apparent use. Again, just making sure i am not missing something.

> These are only needed if you’re using an RC controller.

– What might the white squares in “ATR and Vectoring Robot Hardware Kit” be? I also have 4 similar black ones in the “electric power hookup kit”

> Those are used to provide a mounting point for zip ties. They have an adhesive side so you can stick one anywhere in the robot, run a zip tie through it, and use the zip tie to help bundle up and route some wires to keep things clean.

Bob
    Participant

Thank you! This helps.

I do have 12 volt motors, so I will just use another power supply. I have a spare 12v 3amp supply. Would that be sufficient? Based on this: https://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/custom.aspx/battery-terms/61/ i should be able to use up to an 8amp supply on these 8Ah interstate batteries? not sure i have anything that big laying around.

Is best practice to remove once charged for sealed lead acid batteries?

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

We wouldn’t recommend charging with a power supply but it should kind of work with lead acid batteries. Follow the instructions here: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_with_a_power_supply. Maybe make this just a temporary solution until you get a 12V smart charger.

With a power supply you don’t want to leave it connected for too long after the battery is charged. You’ll need to monitor it and make sure to disconnect when the batteries near full charge. With a charger it doesn’t matter, you can leave it connected.

Edit: Please send an email to sdr@sdrobots.robotdns.net with your order number and shipping address and we will send you a 12V charger since it sounds like this was a mistake on our end. The charger you received should have been matched to your motor voltage.

Bob
    Participant

done. thank you!

Juan Weaver
    Participant

thanks for taking the time to explain.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account