This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Brian Busby.

• Author
     Brian Busby
    Participant

I am looking for some guidance here. My initial question is, “Do you have to use the Motor Encoder Pull-up board with the IG42 motor?” What is their purpose? (I purchased a couple already)
    I have a Sabertooth 2×32 controller that I can control the IG42 motor with via RC. The problems start when I add the kangaroo. The motors just randomly “gitter”, never actually a rotation…more like noise. I was under the impression that I would be able to add the kangaroo and be able to perform the same RC control. This was step one. Later I was planning on adding the Arduino mega and a host of other logic/hardware components for autonomous navigation. However, I can get past step one. Very frustrating.
    I would like to control the motors via the mega, but also have RC control, in the event I need to emergency stop the robot or take control for navigation.
    I am ultimately looking to build a skid steer robot that is able to use the ‘ticks’ from the encoders as a means of measurement (i.e. Drive forward for 3 feet, turn, etc). Any help I can get is appreciated with the encoders, the dip switches on the sabertooth and the kangaroo. Pointers on this setup as it relates to the Describe software. Is one expected to have to configure the sabertooth and the kangaroo, just for basic RC control? Is it a possibility that the kangaroo x2 I purchased from your company defective? Is there a way to debug it or test it to make sure it is functioning properly? Thanks for your time.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Pull up resistors are needed on hall effect encoders. They pull the pulse up to your desired voltage. Typically 5V. If you don’t use them you wont get a square wave at the right levels. We have used the kangaroo. It is definitely frustrating getting it to work properly. Its best if you have a scope and can look at the output of the encoders,etc. to get things set up. It works, but you have to get them setup right. The kangaroo was actually developed using one of our ATR chassis with IG42 motors on it that we gave to dimension engineering to develop with. Don’t try to get it doing everything at once. Start with just simple speed control in RC mode and then go from there.

Brian Busby
    Participant

Thank you for the quick response. Initially, my intention is the obtain speed control in RC mode. With the encoders aside, if I set the sabertooth dip switches to: 1,2 -off, 3,4,5,6- on and the kangaroo dips are all ‘on’, hook up the RC: 0v, 5v and s1 respectively…shouldn’t I have RC control?
    Is there another product that you recommend instead of the Kangaroo that better fits my project?
    Thanks again. I appreciate the help. It is very frustrating to get stumped so early in the project.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account