This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 2 months ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     Ben
    Participant

Hi, Im starting a new project on making a Track Robot and was wondering what do you need to make it operate. I have somewhat the idea. Like a micro controller, DC motor, Arduino board, obviously a power supply. And that’s all I can think of.

So what else am I missing?

P.S I already checked more information/research but I need more technical/mechanical tips

(Sorry for a childish question)

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Hi. Building a tracked robot as your first robot is probably not going to be an easy task. There is a reason our kits cost so much, there is a lot that goes into it. The first thing you have to do is build a track system with drive wheels. There is some help for this on this blog post.

Make you own Robot Tracks/Treads

Sizing the motors is difficult too. Tracks take a lot more torque to drive and to turn. There is a post for sizing motors here

How to Size a Motor.

Then you have to build the entire chassis and support the wheels, drive them, etc. It takes a lot of design and experience to do this. Usually trial and error too. when you are all said and done, you will have probably spent more money building it yourself to get it right than just buying the kit outright.

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/category.aspx/robot-kits-treaded/73/

Of course there designing and building one from scratch does provide a more rewarding experience. If you go this route, please share your results with us. Thank you

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account