This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 5 months ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     kyleG
    Participant

Hello

I’m an ME student doing a project to create a tilt rotor mechanism for a quad-rotor drone. The objective is to tilt a shaft which has the two propellor motors on each end via a single servo at the middle. The servo is attached to the body of the drone and rotates the shaft using a single gear system for greater accuracy. You can see a sort of DIY model I am imitating here:
    http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/tiltrotor-quadcopter-v2?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A1480244&page=3#comments

I need to choose a good servo for my purpose. The main design factors are precision weight and cost in that order of priority. I want to make sure the servo is strong enough to hold and manipulate the shaft firmly so the user has precise control over the tilt of the propellor motors at all angles (we are only tilting 45 degrees for this project). In other words, I dont want it wobbly or shaky making it inaccurate. Based off my criteria I was leaning towards a digital servo but I wasnt sure how small I can safely go.

From my brief research into common servos available I see that they all come with their own gears but I can find very little specs about the gears themselves. I need some basic information on them like facewidth and numbers of teeth, diameters. I will need to find another gear that fits onto the shaft and interacts with my servo gear effectively. Preferably 1:1 gear ratio for simpilicity but Im flexible there.

This will all be operated by a very basic arduino uno microprocessor unit.

If you have any tips & advice its much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Hi. Sounds like a neat project. Our experience is ground robotics, so we do not have much experience with rotors, etc. The servos we sell are listed here. We also carry Robotis Dynamixel servos, you can get a lot more control from them, but they are more involved to get rolling (we have used them with the arduino before…). Thanks and good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account